A newly developed combination of technical hydrophobic filter materials by the technical textiles manufacturer Porcher Industries SA, Badinières/France, has obtained a UNS-1 certification from the Direction Générale de l'Armement (DGA), Paris/France.
Respiratory masks made from this complex material are washable at 60°C. They can be reused 10 times, if conditions for use are respected. These masks are quickly drying, do not lose their shape and are intended for non-medical purposes to prevent the projection of droplets. They can be used by professionals in contact with the public, such as the police and checkout personnel.
Results of DGA protocol for Porcher Industries filter material designed for production of AFNOR protective masks Spec. S76-001:2020 UNS-1 for non-medical purposes are as follows:
• filtration: 97% for 3 microns and 93% for 1 micron
• breathability: 139L.m-2.s-1
• performance criteria: AFNOR SPEC S76-001 (DGA report no.: RP/20-2307/DGA MNRBC/2000305/NP)
• reusable and washable mask at 60°C in household conditions
• quick-drying (air) hydrophobic material
• dimensional stability
Porcher Industries has adapted part of their factory capacity for the mass production masks made from this material. Started in early April, production capacity has already reached 1 million masks per week.